Low Level Laser Therapy- Photobiomodulation – or (LLLT in short) is a type of photo-therapy , where trained and qualified medical / dental professionals use specialized machines Lasers or LEDs) which emit red and near infrared light, which is applied directly over the selected part of the body which is injured or has a certain type of lesion, muscle strain, or surgical wound . The objective is to improve soft tissue healing, reduce inflammation, and give relief in both acute and chronic pain.
These devices stimulate tissue healing at the cellular level. They effect cytochrome c oxidase in the electron transport chain to normalize cellular ATP inside the Mitochondria. Research has shown Photobiomodulation to be most effective at wavelength with low water absorption (630-1064) .This primary mechanism is a Photobiological- Photochemical reaction. This then introduces secondary effects which lead to the clinical results: Modulation of inflammation, faster healing, pain reduction, nerve regeneration, analgesia and modulation of immune response.
- High dose for pain control (Bioinhibition)
- Low Dose for healing (Biostimulation)
- When treating injuries, always treat lymphatic nodes (ALWAYS BIOSTIMULATION) and also the nerve innervation at the spinal cord.
- For upper body pain treat LI4 and for lower body pain corresponding acupuncture point between big toe and first toe.
- For acute pain, treat daily for 3 to 5 days and the space out frequency. For chronic pain 3 times weekly for 3 to 5 weeks and then stop for 2 to 3 weeks to let healing occur.
- In severe pain doses can be doubled.
- Post Extraction
- TMJ Disorders
- Ulcer healing
- Herpetic lesions
- Sports injuries
- Osseo-integration of Dental Implants
- Dentin hypersensitivity
- LLLT may reduce the need for anesthesia for children in some selected conditions or be used to reduce the discomfort associated with injections.
- Periodontal disease
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Bells palsy
- Laser bacterial Reduction
Temporary relief from muscle and joint pains listed below
- Use Bio-inhibition dose in front and behind sore area.
- Treat daily for five days and then every other day for 2 weeks.
Arthritis in Hands and Fingers
- Bio-stimulation dose to either side of affected joints.
- Treat according to Acute- Chronic principles.
- Bio inhibition dose anterior, posterior and lateral to the shoulder.
- Treat lymphatics in Axilla.
- Follow acute-chronic principles.
- Bio-inhibition dose plus lymphatic duct and treat nerve roots of all cervical vertebrae.
- Bio-inhibition dose-Upper back, treat all of affected muscle as well as lymphatic duct and spinal nerve roots.
- For low back pain muscles and sciatic vertebrae and treat sciatic nerve as well behind knee and end of foot where feel pain or numbness.
- Treat inguinal lymph nodes in groin.
Pulled Muscles and Sprains
- Bio-inhibition dose.
- Treat according to acute protocol.
- Bio-inhibition dose locally and lymph nodes.
Cuts and Burns
- Bio-stimulation dose locally.
- Treat up to all four sides depending on damage as well as inguinal nodes and sciatic nerve root.
- Treat following either acute or chronic
- In degenerative arthritis me need to treat long term due to constant use of knee joint.
- Treat according to acute Bioinhibition protocol.
- Treat at heel and ball of foot and between.
- Check calf muscles as they may need treatment as well.
- Also lymph nodes behind knee and inguinal area and sciatic nerve root.
Sore Throat and Colds
- Treat lymphatic System Bio-stimulation
- Sub-mandibular lymph nodes, 3 or 4 places along neck lymph chain and Lymphatic duct
- If throat red may treat there as well
- If Strep throat Blue Light
( Disclaimer : This is not a scientific article. The objective of this discussion is to educate the general public to help them make better choices and educate about the various applications of LLLT )
Dr.Gerry Ross ,
Various Internet sources,